Tuesday, March 27, 2012

HDTV Almanac - Hulu Redesigns Viewing Screen

Yesterday, Hulu announced that it has upgraded its viewing screen. The biggest news is that the viewing window is now 55% larger, and it’s displayed with a drop shadow against a nice, neutral gray background. (Apparently that is called a “video matte” in the trade; who knew?) Video details appear below the viewing window, and the interface is been tidied up in general.

I think it’s great that Hulu cares and is putting the effort into this upgrade. And I agree that this looks better. But it really does not have much impact on how I use or enjoy Hulu content. As soon as I start watching a program, I immediately switch to full-screen mode. After a brief pause, the playback controls and everything else fades away and I’m left with just the program content. So while it’s nice that Hulu has freshened up the screen, I might not have noticed if they had not pointed it out.

Tell me, am I crazy? Am I the only one out there who would rather watch streaming content in full-screen without the rest of the clutter? Let me know at alfred@hdtvprofessor.com.

Posted by Alfred Poor, March 16, 2012 6:00 AM

Alfred Poor is a well-known display industry expert, who writes the daily HDTV Almanac. He wrote for PC Magazine for more than 20 years, and now is focusing on the home entertainment and home networking markets.

This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments: